Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 20, 2012

Week 52

It is hard to believe that a year has passed since Briana set her goal of modeling in the Be Beautiful, Be Yourself fashion show. It is even more difficult to believe how much Briana's life has changed in the past year. When I look back on our journey, I am more certain than ever that God has a plan for everything. A year ago, Briana was dependent on her mother for everything: cooking meals, helping her dress, helping her shower, putting on her shoes. She didn't have the stamina or gross motor skills to do many of these things for herself. If she had not been blessed with the opportunity to train with me, she would still be extremely dependent on others for her care and well being. So I believe it was God's plan to have me prepare Briana for living a capable, independent life. When I look at her now and see that independence, I am overjoyed. However, by no means do I take the credit for Briana's success. It truly took a village to make this happen, so I want to dedicate this final week of the year to thanking everyone that has been involved in this amazing journey. First and foremost, I must thank Pat McDonnell of the McDonnell Family Foundation. If it weren't for you, none of this would have been possible. Your loving heart and generosity brought Briana and me together. You have blessed me with a year of work that never felt like work and that I will continue to do for the rest of my life. Second, I want to thank Biana's mom, Lorrie Carrey, who is now an angel in heaven. She was the backbone of Briana's success from day one. She made sure she followed my meal plans consistently and she taught Briana how to say no. There were many times that she skipped work parties or social engagements where she knew it would be difficult for Briana to be there and not be tempted to eat things she shouldn't. Without Lorrie's dedication, Briana would not have been successful. Next I would like to thank Trish Morris from the Global Down Syndrome Foundation. Thank you for being there to support me when things got rough this summer when Lorrie became ill. You have been a stable person in Briana's life and she considers you family. I also want to thank Gladys Upton, Briana's aunt and guardian. Thank you for all the time you spent on the phone with me, talking about Briana's diet, trying to understand everything that we had been doing, and supporting the process. You have been a blessing. Which brings me to Sandy and Crystal, Briana's new host family. It isn't every day that you see people open their homes and hearts the way you have for Briana. I am overjoyed that she has you in her life now. I know she is in good hands, and I appreciate you both making the effort to support her diet and fitness progam. I know it isn't always easy. Last, but definitely not least, I want to thank Briana. You are an angel in my life. I have learned more from you this year than you have learned from me. I will forever be inspired by your determination and you are always in my heart, reminding me to live in the moment, to love big, and to be honest in all things. And so it is with gratitude and love that I end this post, and with great pride that I can say Briana looked amazing on the runway last Saturday night. She will forever shine in my heart. This is just the beginning of another journey for both of us, so check back soon to see what happens next. Until then, live in the moment and celebrate the gifts you have in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment