Total Pageviews

Monday, September 24, 2012

Weeks 47-49

A few hours after I posted my last blog, I received a phone call from Briana. She called to tell me that her mom had passed away at 3 p.m. My heart sunk as I told Briana how sorry I was to hear the news. She told me she just wanted to let me know about it. I asked her how she was doing and she simply said, "I'm fine." Needless to say, things have been a bit inconsistent these past few weeks. The good news is that Briana is maintaining her weight and has come to call her host family "home." She has many people in her life that love her and will continue to look out for her. She says that she has an angel in heaven now, and she knows her mom can always see her. I am dedicating this blog to Lorrie Carrey, Briana's mom. She was born August 4, 1958 in Oskaloosa, Iowa. She died September 3, 2012 from liver cancer. Lorrie was 30 years old when she gave birth to Briana. From the beginning, she loved her with all her heart. She made sure that Briana was able to attend mainstream schools and receive a good education. Friends say that in high school, Lorrie was always at the school helping out to make sure that Briana stayed in school. Because of Lorrie's dedication, Briana is a high school graduate. After high school, Lorrie made sure that Briana remained active in social and educational programs. She signed her up for dozens of events and activities and made sure she got her there. When I met Lorrie just over a year ago, she knew that Briana was severely overweight and was happy to have the help to turn it around. I credit Lorrie for having both the strength and the courage to manage Briana's diet. It is not an easy thing to do, changing your eating habits. I know that Lorrie had to be the one to say no many times to help Briana stay on track, and I am grateful to her for that. For the short time I knew Lorrie, I am touched to have had her pass through my life. She reminded me that regardless of how much we may or may not have, at the end of the day family matters most of all. Because of Lorrie, I now remind myself each day to put my children and family first and provide them with unconditional love regardless of circumstances. Lorrie was memorialized on Saturday, September 23 at 1 p.m. at a beautiful ceremony. Briana sang her favorite song and invited all of the special people in her life to say something about Lorrie. Briana was able to grieve and celebrate her mother's life surrounded by all of the people who love her.

No comments:

Post a Comment